Town of

Seeking Applicants - Planning Board Vacancy

June 19, 2018

Planning Board Vacancy

For the past several years, the Town of Danby Planning Board has been guided by the Chairmanship of Frank Kruppa. Frank is also the Tompkins County Public Health Director and Commissioner of Mental Health. His perspective as both a resident of Danby and Director of public health initiatives at the County level has been invaluable. Frank has announced that he and his family are moving out of Danby to a new home in Dryden, and so will have to resign his seat and position as Chair on the Planning Board. His last meeting was the June  21 meeting. We are sorry to see him go, but happy that he and his family will have their own home closer to his county Health Department office.

The Town Board of the Town of Danby invites residents to apply now for this vacant seat on the Planning Board. Planning Board service is usually a seven year term. The current vacancy is to fill the remainder of Frank Kruppa’s term, which runs through the end of December 2018. Therefor, the appointee will be serving for roughly six months, and then would be encouraged to reapply for a full term. It is hoped that this vacancy will be filled by mid-July.


The Planning Board meets monthly, on the third Thursday, to review subdivision and development applications, and review (and revise as needed) such Town planning documents as the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinance. Copies of the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Ordinance are available on the Code/Planning page of the Danby web site and in the Town Clerk’s office.

A new Planning Board Chair will be selected by the Town Board from the current members of the Planning Board.

An appointment application is available through the Town Clerk’s office. This simple form includes contact information for the applicant and three simple questions: any experience (professional, educational, etc.) which would assist in the position, a brief description of why you would like to be considered, and what you would hope to accomplish in this position.

If interested, or for more information on this position, contact Town Clerk Pamela Goddard at or (607) 277-4788.